Monday, July 19, 2010

Peruano

Hi There,

I just got back from a 1.5 week long trip to Peru and have got to say, wow! The country is historically chock full of interesting historical sites, is considered to arguably be the culinary capital of South America (though, as a vegetarian this point may have been lost on me), and is filled with incredible natural vistas. I won't go into too much detail on my trip, but wanted to point out an interesting observation:

Peruvians Run:
Some people run for exercise. Horses run for money. Chris Kantos runs for fun (and for St. Patrick). But Peruvians run for another reason altogether: regular transportation. It is apparently totally normal for Cusquenos to run from place to place as a mode of transport. Suits, dresses, whatever. People just run to their next location--and none of them seemed particularly late for anything. It's just what they do. Why walk when you can get their a bit quicker with a nice jog I suppose? The only other time I can think of someone doing this was that kid that lived on the 3rd floor of Hill Hall Freshman year.

No comments: